Part Time Circulation Assistant
Position: P/T Circulation Assistant
Reports To: Circulation Manager
Summary / Main Purpose of Job:
The Phoenixville Public Library is a non-profit organization with the mission of providing access to educational, cultural, and recreational resources for the community it serves. The library is currently seeks part-time circulation assistant who will report to the Circulation Manager. Part-time Library Assistants are responsible for performing all circulation duties in a timely, efficient manner.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
* Performs all circulation desk duties using computerized system
o Check materials in/out/renew materials
o Reserve materials
o Issues new patron cards/updates cards
o Manages the routing of Holds
o Collect patron fines and fees and make change as needed.
* Performs all opening/closing procedures in work area/public areas
o Turn on/off all computers/copiers/printers
o Empty book drops
* Notifies patrons about reserved materials
* Answers phone and routes calls as necessary
* Update computer records, as requested.
* Performs basic reference work or refers it to senior staff in charge
* Assists patrons in locating materials through the OPAC or ILL
* Assisting patrons with finding library materials, providing reader’s advisory, answering basic computer queries, and monitoring appropriate use of the facility.
* Inspect returned materials for damage.
* Be familiar with all print and other items located at the Circulation Desks, for public or staff use.
* Maintain neatness and orderliness at the Desks at all times.
* Perform circulation procedures effectively and accurately according to the principles of quality customer service.
* Greets, direct, and provide information to library customers and performs a variety of clerical tasks related to the processing, sorting and circulation of library materials.
* Respond to incoming telephone calls and provide basic assistance with directional, instructional and informational inquiries at the circulation desks and public workstations.
* Candidates must have the ability to work in a fast-paced environment and have excellent customer service and computer skills.
* Keep abreast of all System changes and improvements.
* Perform assigned tasks and projects completely and in a timely manner.
* Handle financial transactions accurately.
* Respond to requests for help from customers.
* Keep pace with all library policies, staff meeting minutes and changes in Procedure Manual.
* Attend in-house departmental and staff meetings, county or regional educational programs for staff development or basic computer or Internet education, as requested or assigned by the Circulation Manager
* High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED), some college preferred.
* Basic office skills (typing, filing, answering phones, etc.).
* Previous experience working in library with computerized systems.
* Customer service skills.
* Basics knowledge and use of computers, e-mail, and the internet.
* Some knowledge of reference materials and other resources, as well as the ability to use computers to access these resources including the Internet, is required.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently required to sit; walk; stand; bend at the waist while working; kneel, stoop, crouch or squat; talk or hear; handle and lift up to 25 pounds; push a cart of books that weighs up to 125 pounds; and sit at a computer terminal for up to 4 hours at a time. Occasionally, the employee will need to work with arms above shoulders or reach above shoulder height.
The specific vision requirements for this position are as follows:
* Close vision.
* Color vision.
* Ability to read and alphabetize and place items in numeric order.
The following background checks are required:
* Pennsylvania State Police Request for Criminal Records Check
* Department of Public Welfare Child Abuse History Clearance
* Federal Criminal History Record Information
The following positions are open:
* Monday, Tuesday and Friday (1-5pm), Wednesday and Thursday (9am-1pm) and 2 Saturdays a month.
* Monday and Thursday (5-9pm) and 1 Saturday per a month.
Submit cover letter and resume by August 20, 2014 to:
Maggie Stanton, Circulation Manager
Phoenixville Public Library
183 Second Avenue, Phoenixville, PA 19460-3243
or by e-mail to email@example.com
Page | 1